YSU Code of Ethics
Client: The "client" is the person(s) receiving services.
Sponsor: The "sponsor" is the entity paying for and/or arranging for services to be provided.
YSU: Your Success Unlimited Strategist, Coach, Trainer, Mentor and/or Consultant.
YSU uses a combination of consulting, coaching, mentoring, and training activities. It understands the difference between these activities to be:
COACHING: Coaching is a partnership between the coach and the client whereby they engage in a thought-provoking and creative process that inspires the individual to maximize their personal and professional potential. What this means is that a coach facilitates enhanced performance, learning, and development in the individual not by imparting knowledge, but through a combination of coaching methods that create awareness in the individual being coached of their own skills, their own knowledge and expertise and their own possibilities. The coach then motivates the individual to both, effectively and efficiently, use all skills, knowledge, and expertise available to them to be whom they want to be, have what they want to have and do what they want to do.
EXECUTIVE OR LEADERSHIP COACHING refers to the practice of working with leaders who are interested in advancing their efforts at work. The primary goal of executive coaching is to work towards the enhancement of professional efforts.
- Coaching is non-directive – the coach does not tell or instruct. The coach elicits expertise and resources already present in the client(s) they are coaching, so they can choose their own direction and the best way forward to enhanced performance.
MENTORING: A professional relationship in which an experienced and successful person assists another in developing specific skills and knowledge that will enhance the less-experienced person’s personal and professional growth.
- Mentoring is directive - A mentor guides, advises and counsels the individual and typically challenges them beyond his or her comfort zone.
TRAINING: Those with knowledge, experience, and expertise in a certain field instruct and teach individual(s) who have less knowledge, experience or expertise in that field.
- Training is directive – Meaning the trainer is the expert in the area of learning. The trainer directs and instructs those they are training what to learn and how to learn it. This is done to promote enhanced performance.
CONSULTING: A consultant is an expert who is called upon for professional and technical advice or opinion. Based on their exposure to various experiences and relationships with numerous organizations, they are typically aware of industry “best practices” and are relied on to understand the challenge being faced and present solutions.
- Consulting is semi-directive – Meaning the consultant imparts expert knowledge and tells the client/sponsor what best practices should be followed. Ultimate client/sponsor decisions about what they do are theirs, however, they are then considered informed decisions.
IMPORTANT: YSU does not offer therapeutic counselling services. YSU believes that therapeutic counseling is required if the client has anxiety that relates to how they see and interpret the world. YSU guides the client towards reaching his/her goal and does not explore the origin of emotional and social relationship problems. Engaging in coaching or mentoring activities can be harmful if the individual’s problem stems from undetected or ignored psychological difficulties.
- YSU will not knowingly make any public statement that is untrue or misleading about what it offers or make false claims in any written documents relating to the qualifications, expertise, experience, and/or certifications of its coaches. Additionally, YSU will not knowingly mislead or make false claims about what the client or sponsor will receive from the process or the coach.
- YSU will not knowingly take any personal, professional, or monetary advantage or benefit of the client relationship, except by a form of compensation as agreed in the agreement or contract. YSU will strive to recognize any personal issues or conflicts of interest that may impair or interfere with YSU’s performance. If the facts and circumstances necessitate, YSU will appropriately suspend or terminate the relationship.
- YSU will maintain, store, and dispose of any records created during the coaching process in a manner that promotes confidentiality, security, and privacy, and complies with any applicable laws and agreements.
- YSU will take reasonable action to inform potentially vulnerable third parties and/or responsible authorities when conditions indicate that there is a clear and imminent danger to the client, sponsor, or others. Ideally, this will be done with the individual client's knowledge or permission, but, if necessary, without.
- YSU will have a clear agreement or contract before releasing information to another person unless required by law. YSU will disclose to each individual client that general progress updates may be provided to a sponsoring organization (at their request); however, such reports would be generic in nature, and no personal or confidential information will be provided.
- YSU will respect clear, appropriate, and culturally sensitive boundaries that govern any physical contact that it may have with my clients or sponsors.
- YSU will respect the client's right to terminate the relationship at any point during the process, subject to the provisions of the agreement or contract. YSU will be alert to indications that the client is no longer benefiting from the relationship and encourage the client or sponsor to make a change if YSU believes the client or sponsor would be better served by another professional.
- YSU will always endeavor to provide the highest quality of service to clients/sponsors.